Updated: November 30, 2020
- What personal data we collect on our website at bestdefensefoundation.org (the “Site”);
- How we use the data;
- With whom we may share the personal data;
- Legal basis for processing the data;
- Storage and security of your data;
- Your Privacy Rights, Choices and Disclosures, including those for Europe and California;
- Users outside the United States; and
Personal Data We Collect or Process
We also collect information that you provide to us voluntarily when you create an account, purchase items from our Site, donate through our Site, sign up to receive newsletters, advisories, announcements and invitations and contact us via the Site, email or phone. In connection with the foregoing, we may request your name, email address, billing address, phone number(s) and payment card information. The “I am a Veteran” page invites you to provide details about your military service and other information that may assist us in planning any experience or mission for you, such as whether you use any mobility equipment and your height and weight. Providing this information is completely voluntary.
We do not knowingly collect information from users of our Site under the age of 18 and/or their internet usage. By using the Services, you represent that you are at least 18 years old and of legal age to enter into legal agreements.
How We Use the Data
We use the personal data we collect to respond to your inquiries, complete transactions you initiate, provide or enhance the Site, perform our contractual obligations, provide updates and other important information related to your activity on and with the Site, inform you of new products and services or changes in the Site, administer the Site, fulfill legal obligations we have to governmental authorities or other third parties, and for other legitimate business purposes. You will have the opportunity to opt out of any electronic marketing communications you may receive from us.
With Whom We Share Personal Data
Best Defense Foundation and the Site are organized and operated in the United States. We may share your personal data to third parties (within or outside your country of residence) who perform services on our behalf, including without limitation our payment processors, technology providers, suppliers, service providers, travel partners and professional advisors. Our Site may re-direct you to websites of some of our suppliers in order to complete purchases of certain products, and some of your information may be shared with them to facilitate the transactions.
We use Shopify to power our online store–you can read more about how Shopify uses your Personal Information here: https://www.shopify.com/legal/privacy.
We use Webconnex to power our Giving Fuel donation portal –you can read more about how Webconnex uses your Personal Information here: https://www.webconnex.com/privacy-policy/.
We have relationships with third parties, including our travel partners and the suppliers of the goods we offer on our online store. We may provide them some personal information such as your name and email so that they may contact you about products, services or promotions you may be interested in.
We may disclose information (within or outside your country of residence) if we have a good faith belief that disclosure is necessary by law or the legal process, to protect and defend our or others’ interests or property, or to enforce agreements you enter into with us.
Your information may be transferred to another company (within or outside your country of residence) in connection with a merger or in the event that our business is acquired in whole or part by another company.
We may share aggregated and de-identified information with third parties (within or outside your country of residence) for analytical, research or other similar purposes.
Grounds for Using Your Personal Data
We rely on the following legal grounds to process your personal information:
Performance of a contract. We may need to collect and use your personal information to enter into a contract with you and to fulfill transactions that you initiate.
Compliance with Legal Obligations. We may use your personal information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations.
Storage and Protection of Your Personal Data
We retain the personal data we collect for so long as reasonably necessary to fulfill the purposes for which the data was collected and to perform our contractual and legal obligations. Notwithstanding the generality of the foregoing, we store email addresses until the user requests to be unsubscribed or removes themselves through any self-service tools offered to the user.
We do not store payment card information; rather we utilize the Shopify and Webconnex platforms and payment processors and store only an electronic receipt that sets forth confirming payment details, such as purchase date, the expiration date of the payment card and the payment ID, but not complete payment card information.
We take reasonable administrative, physical and technical precautions to protect your personal data and communications between us. This includes, when required or as we deem appropriate and feasible under the circumstances, encryption and written commitments from third parties that may have access to your data that they will protect the data with safeguards that are substantially equivalent to those used by Best Defense Foundation.
No Internet or e-mail transmission is ever fully secure or error free, however. We therefore cannot guarantee absolute security of your data, and we are not responsible for processes and networks that we do not control. Users assume the risk of security breaches and the consequences resulting from them. Please be careful in deciding what information you send to us via email or over the Internet.
Your Rights, Choices and Disclosures
1) General. This section is subject to specific disclosures on privacy rights set forth below. We are committed to facilitate the exercise of your rights granted by the laws of your jurisdiction, which may include the right to request the correction, modification or deletion of your personal information and the right to opt out of the sale of your personal information (as applicable). We will do our best to honor your requests subject to any legal and contractual obligations. If you would like to make a request, cancel your account or request we delete or no longer use your account information to provide you Services, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or make changes to any user profile information connected to your account.
You may opt out of receiving electronic marketing communications from us by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link on the communication or contacting us at email@example.com. Some non-marketing communications may not be subject to a general opt-out, such as communications about transactions, disclosures to comply with legal requirements, software updates and other support-related information. If you do not wish to receive any service-related emails from us, you have the option to deactivate your account.
Subject to local law, you may have additional rights under the laws of your jurisdiction regarding your personal data, such as the right to complain to your local data protection authority.
You may be able to disable Cookies through your browser settings, but if you delete or disable Cookies, you may experience interruptions or limited functionality in certain areas of the Services.
2) Your European Privacy Rights and Choices. If you reside or otherwise find yourself in the territory of Europe, your privacy rights under the European data protection law include:
- Transparency and the right to information. Through this policy we explain how we use and share your information. However, if you have questions or need additional information you can contact us any time.
- Right of access, restriction of processing, erasure. You may contact us to request information about the personal data we have collected from you and to request the correction, modification or deletion of such personal information, which requests we will do our best to honor subject to any legal, ethical and contractual obligations. To make a request or to ask us a question about our data practices, please contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Right to withdraw your consent at any time. When we process your personal data based on your consent, you have the right to withdraw it at any time.
- Right to object at any time. You have the right to object at any time to receiving marketing or promotional materials from us by either following the opt-out instructions in commercial e-mails or by contacting us, as well as the right to object to any processing of your personal data based on your specific situation. In the latter case, we will assess your request and provide a reply in a timely manner, according to our legal, ethical and contractual obligations. Some non-marketing communications are not subject to a general opt-out, such as communications about transactions and disclosures to comply with legal requirements.
- Right to data portability. You have the right to data portability of your own personal data by contacting us.
- Right not to be subject to an automated decision, including profiling. We do not make automated decisions using your personal data that may negatively impact you.
- Right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority. If you consider that the processing of your personal data infringes your privacy rights according the European Privacy regulation, you have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority, in the member state of your habitual residence, place of work, or place of the alleged infringement.
3) California Disclosures
California “Shine the Light” Information-Sharing Disclosure: California residents may request a list of all third parties with respect to which we have disclosed any information about you for direct marketing purposes and the categories of information disclosed. If you are a California resident and want such a list, please send us a written request by email to email@example.com with “California Shine The Light Rights” in the subject line.
California Do Not Track Disclosure: While there is no worldwide uniform or consistent industry standard or definition for responding to, processing, or communicating Do Not Track signals, we take reasonable steps to respond to a user’s Do Not Track Signals.
Users Outside the United States
The Site is controlled and operated from the United States. If you are an individual from the European Union, Canada or any other jurisdiction with laws or regulations governing personal data collection, use, and disclosure that differ from United States laws, please be advised that we may store the information we collect in the United States which is not deemed an “adequate jurisdiction” by the European regulatory authorities. Personal data may also be transferred from the country of your residence to other countries, including the United States.
Links to Other Websites
Questions and Contact Information
Best Defense Foundation is located at:
249 HWY 101, Suite 312
Solana Beach, CA 92075
Office Phone: 858-367-0079
General Info: firstname.lastname@example.org